Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Salvation Army Store hunting and in-organic inspiration.

Went to the salvation army store in Browns Bay today, and found a few items that sparked some more inspiration. Op-shops are dangerous places for me to go... I always find a lot of 'junk' I like, and I have to be honest, we really don't have place for all my junk.
 But sometimes from junk, comes the COOLEST ideas.

The other day, I was helping my youngest brother move house, and low and behold... in-organics was happening in his neighbourhood.
For those of you that don't know what in-organics is, it is one of my favourite Auckland, New Zealand things..

Once a year you get a letter in the post from the City Council telling you that it is your turn to put your in-organics out for collection. For a whole weekend you decide what stuff in your house needs to be dumped, and then drag it out to the curb.
It can be almost anything; a broken couch, broken toys, the old TV, rusty fan... (you get the idea)
On the Monday morning, the council comes with their big trucks and pick it up. How fantastic is that???

Meanwhile the whole neighbourhood is looking through each others piles, and re-homing items they think is worth keeping. I reckon it is the ultimate recycling!


Well... I was looking through piles (I can't help myself, and I have no shame) and I found a broken doll. Only her head and torso was left. Some kid obviously enjoyed playing with her at some stage (evident from the pen marks on her cheeks..) And I decided I would take her home...  I had an idea..
I then made her into the COOLEST jewellery ever. (well, I think so) The ears and the eyes have sold already (didn't last long) and I'm sure the mouth and nose necklaces will sell as well. Apparently other people like weird too?
Now I'm always looking for more dolls...
Do you have any for me?? Please?? :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment