Pages

Wednesday 28 September 2011

Aeroplane Party for my baby boy's first birthday.

Had my baby boy's first birthday party this weekend. Was hard work and a lot of planning but SO worth it! Will share some of the day's details, and some recipe's too.

Detail of the 'airport'

Entrance to the house - decorated with New Zealand flag bunting, and the 'airline' name
I went with an aeroplane theme, but took it a bit further to include the whole experience of flying and travel.
Setting the scene with a toy aeroplane. Note all the cool drinks and spoon holder covered with old maps.
I made a very big aeroplane cake all by myself, and decorated it with a yummy butter icing. The cake recipe is one I've found online. A nice, basic and easy recipe you can find here: http://www.stayathomemum.net.au/recipes/baking/sand-cake/
 
The massive aeroplane cake - and I made it myself from scratch! Hard work!



I also had some GORGEOUS rainbow cupcakes made by the talented Corli at Le Petit Four. Not only were they SUPER cute on the outside. Inside they were an amazing rainbow in colour.


rainbow cupcakes

The 'baggage claim' area






For the party favours my mum and I made A4 size drawstring bags, and decorated them with the Royal New Zealand Airforce Logo. I thought they looked really neat.
I also attached personalized 'pilot licenses' for each child. Inside the bags were an inflatable beach ball globe, an aeroplane spoon, a hand decorated party blower and an aeroplane sweet.


Close up of the 'pilot licenses' This one is for my 2 year old :-)










Content of the favour bag: an inflatable globe, an aeroplane spoon, an aeroplane sweet and a party blower that I redecorated.

For the birthday boy I made a pilot uniform bib to wear at the party, and also had a pilot hat knitted by the talented Sonia from Creative Aertz. He looked gorgeous, if I have to say so myself! :-)


The bib I made for the birthday boy.
Birthday boy Chris modelling his cute pilot hat and bib.



Here are some more photos of the table set up and details:


Close up of the aeroplane sweets that was in the favour bags.

Oreo Pops in the front - displayed in florist foam (covered with map) and marshmallow/rice krispie treats on the 3 tier stand in the back.

The table set up.
Recipe for Oreo Pops:

Ingredients:
  • One 300 gram package of Oreo Cookies
  • 5 cups  marshmallows
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • bag of white cooking chocolate
  • food colour of choice
Directions:
  1. Butter an 8X8 inch baking pan. Line the baking pan with baking paper letting the paper extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Butter paper; set pan aside.
  2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse Oreos  until ground.
  3. In a large, microwave safe bowl, melt butter and marshmallows in the microwave until puffed, about 1½ – 2 minutes. Stir in ground Oreo Cookies until combined. Transfer to prepared baking pan. Using a piece of wax paper, press rice mixture into prepared pan.
  4. Let set up for at least 10 minutes. Scoop table spoon size into palm of hands and roll into a ball. Continue until they are all rolled into balls.
  5. Stick lollipop sticks into balls and put in freezer for at least 3 hours
  6. In a metal bowl, melt white chocolate over a saucepan of hot water. Be carefull not to over heat. You just want to melt the chocolate. Add food colouring of choice.
  7. Dip frozen oreo pops into the white chocolate mixture and swirl. 
  8. Let them dry standing in flower arrangement  foam or anything else that will keep them upright.
The cooldrink area





My 2 year old Matthys playing with the props :-)

4 comments:

  1. Awesome party Franda!! You did such an amazing job... Just wish I had a baby so I could also have a goodie bag! Haha ;) well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ness - het 'n ekstra goodie bag :-) Sal vir jou gee dan bere jy dit vir jou bondeltjie :-) Sal maar later die pilot license vir hom/haar update :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha nee man, ek grap sommer net!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Het rerig ekstras - party kindertjies kon nie kom nie. Wat anders moet ek met hulle maak? Die seuns het klaar hul eie. Sal een vir jou bere. After all, julle baba was ook hier gewees :-)

    ReplyDelete