Pages

Monday 25 April 2011

DIY Weekend - Button and Craft tins

I thought I would start making some crafty DIY projects to share.

I know when I browse the internet, especially Blogs; I keep finding ideas and inspiration. So only fair to provide some back. :-)

This project I made for my Mum.
When I was a little girl, I use to always play with my Mum's button collection whenever she had her sewing machine out. She had this lovely big tin, full of an all-sort collection of buttons. Some were new, some pretty old and vintage. All very pretty.
I use to LOVE organizing and grouping them together. Colour with colour, pattern with pattern. Hours of fun.

Since we've moved to New Zealand, more than 8 years ago, her gorgeous collection of buttons have been kept in a plastic ice-cream container. So I thought I would make a button tin for her, and an extra tin for her knitting needles.
They would look great in her craft room!

Covered Tins

To make this you will need:

- Baby formula tins or any other big tins you can find.
-Textile in a print/design/colour you like.
-Blackboard paint
- white acrylic paint or home paint
-Spray on glue
-scissors
-cheap plastic tape measures or ribbon of your choice
-masking tape
-glue gun


Step 1:

After cleaning your tins, apply 3 coats of blackboard paint where you would like it on the tin. On one or both tins. Whatever you like.
Then paint the rest of the tin with the white paint. This coat is essential if your fabric is a little see-through... otherwise you will still be able to read whatever is on the tin through your textile. Not nice..

Step 2:

After the paint dried, measure and cut your fabric to fit around the tin. Now put masking tape over the blackboard paint to protect it from the spray glue. Then spray the tin with the spray on glue.

Step 4:

Carefully stick the textile on the tin, making sure you don't create any air bubbles with your application.
Now measure a piece of the cheap measuring tape or ribbon to use as a trim where ever you want along the edge of the tin.
Then glue it on with your glue gun.

All done! And you have LOVELY tins, perfect for a lot of things! Would be great in kids rooms to organize craft materials, or even in the kitchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment