Pages

Thursday 23 May 2013

The results of my Kiwiana unit plan done with year 9's

I've been teaching now for 3 weeks a Kiwiana unit plan I designed for year 9's. I might have been a bit ambitious to get it done in 3 weeks but the students still managed to hand in (mostly) completed art works. It was a bit of a wild and unruly year 9 class, and I did have my hands full with behavior management, but we got there in the end!!

I wanted to get them to experience a lot of different mediums and techniques, while still learning a bit about the concept of Kiwiana in the process.

The 6 different mediums/techniques were: Continuous line drawing, tonal pencil drawing, water-colour pencil drawing, blue pen drawing, collage and white pencil on black paper.

This is the example I made:


 Some days I did demo's while they were gathered around me, and then I would put it on the board for them to refer to later if they needed to.



  I've spend quite a bit of time explaining the reversed tonal value in the white on black paper drawings too.


Here is some of the students work:





I also asked for a bit of feedback and reflection at the end on the unit-plan with exit tickets. Worked a charm because they all needed to give it to me at the door as they left, so I got (almost) all of the feedback.
Now I can work on improving this unit plan for the future! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment